Sunday 1 March 2015

Dark Star Quilt - DONE!

Another baby boy, another chance to make a fun baby quilt!  The brilliant news that our friends' baby had arrived came about three weeks ago so I set about making him a quilt.

My copy of the latest Quilt Now magazine arrived on the very day I sat down to make it, with no idea of pattern or inspiration, and the very first quilt was the Dark Star.  I loved it and knew it was the one.


I set about pulling out suitable blues.  Blue is well represented in my stash, having made the Ginger Jar Quilt 18 months ago.  I also have quite a lot from my very first quilt, which was a baby quilt for another wee boy and for which I bought these birds.



I cut out all the squares and laid everything out on the floor...


....before chain piecing everything together.  I added pins to remind me which square was the top square, having let everything spin and getting myself rather muddled when making Sister's Choice.



Finally, everything was all sewn together and I laid it out on the floor, ready to share my success with the Instagramming public with the caption "Done! Dark Star tick!".



Would you believe it was only at that point I noticed the glaring error in the second row - I'd omitted two HSTs.  They were of course sitting on my desk and I looked at them thinking how silly I'd been managing to make two extra!

At that point I stepped away from the sewing, and watched the Great British Sewing Bee on the sofa in a huff.

I sorted it out the next evening.  Sometimes you need to walk away.


 Problem solved, it was onwards and upwards to the basting....



And quilting!






And here it is - DONE!  All ready to be sent off to our friends and their new wee guy.





Linking up with Lynne at Lily's Quilts for Fresh Sewing Day - what did you make in February?

Fresh Sewing Day

5 comments:

  1. That is a super duper cool baby boy star quilt!
    Love all of those fabrics!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Such a fabulous quilt. I love the fabrics....the colours and patterns are wonderful...just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt for a baby. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete