Sunday 15 March 2015

Brown Paper Packages - 11

This week I started making a quilt for my husband.  I had been collecting fabric to make us a quilt on and off, with no real deadline in mind.



Well, I set the deadline, decided on the pattern and jolly well had to ramp up the fabric buying to make sure I had enough.



He's pretty into yellow and green as a colour scheme, so I adapted it slightly to mustard and teal.

The pile above is from My Bearpaw in Edinburgh, where I spent a very happy half an hour pulling bolts off the shelves while my Christmas gift vouchers burned a hole in my pocket.

This is Teal by Carolyn Friedlander from Botanics and a joy.  I'm already considering buying more just because I love it so.



As I mentioned in my previous post, the quilt is made up of 540 (!!) triangles of various teal and mustard fabric.  Cutting 540 triangles was a daunting prospect, but I got through it faster than anticipated.












I've started chain piecing these together, starting with the edges.



I've got a horrible feeling I've not let enough room between the selvage and the edge, but we'll see.  I've got lots of these edge peices left over so am confident I'll be able to replace a few where it looks a bit tight.  The one on the top of the photo above has already met with the unpicker!





 Linking up with Sunday Stash at Molli Sparkles

Molli Sparkles



10 comments:

  1. Oo, lovely palate. Teal and yellow is such a lovely combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric - looking forward to seeing how it develops:-)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are stunning fabric choices, I'm just in the middle of quilting my second triangle quilt - looking forward to seeing yours, I guess that the triangles are quite small? Mine were 8.5" I think and I used 104 for a single quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of work there! Well done, I'm also working on a triangle/hexie quilt and love it, though I don't think my sewing machine knows what's hit it! Good luck with your beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you're off to a great start. I love you color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing big stacks of cut fabric! Beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a lot of triangles but it looks like it's coming together quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fabulous colors! And I love it that you, me, and Molli Sparkles all seem to have some mustard a-brewin in our highlighted choices this week.
    Now I'm so looking forward to seeing how your triangle madness progresses. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you altered your husbands color palette, it seems fresh and lively. I really enjoy your process photos as well. I am bad at them, myself, I get into a groove and then just want to create. Where do we draw the line between creation and documentation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You picked some gorgeous fabrics Jenny! Can't wait to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete