Following some excellent advice from Fiona of Celtic Thistle, I settled on a pattern from Quiltville called Sister's Choice. The name immediately leapt out at me, like it was meant to be.
I set about making the blocks after some initial drafting of the colours and layout.
However, once the first couple of tester blocks were made, I wasn't feeling it. I just couldn't envisage how it would all look together, and if the starts would POP or just get lost in a sea of busy mayhem.
I was also concerned about whether I would be able to finish this quilt to deadline. It occurred to me that although I have been learning to quilt for just over a year, I had not really made blocks before. Strips, squares, the odd half square triangle are about as far as I've been. Blocks are HARD! I have no idea why some points were perfect:
and some ended up like this:
I know practice makes perfect, but I do not have the time for this quilt to be too much a learning curve. I promise I will come back to this block and work out how to make each and every one a winner!
But for now, it was back to the drawing board. I doodled one of my original ideas, discounted for being too safe:
I'm going to stick with safe!