Sunday 26 January 2014

Sister's Choice

This week I started on the purple quilt for my sister.

Following some excellent advice from Fiona of Celtic Thistle, I settled on a pattern from Quiltville called Sister's Choice.  The name immediately leapt out at me, like it was meant to be.

I set about making the blocks after some initial drafting of the colours and layout.





However, once the first couple of tester blocks were made, I wasn't feeling it.  I just couldn't envisage how it would all look together, and if the starts would POP or just get lost in a sea of busy mayhem. 

I was also concerned about whether I would be able to finish this quilt to deadline.  It occurred to me that although I have been learning to quilt for just over a year, I had not really made blocks before.  Strips, squares, the odd half square triangle are about as far as I've been.  Blocks are HARD!  I have no idea why some points were perfect:

and some ended up like this:



I know practice makes perfect, but I do not have the time for this quilt to be too much a learning curve. I promise I will come back to this block and work out how to make each and every one a winner!

But for now, it was back to the drawing board.  I doodled one of my original ideas, discounted for being too safe:


I'm going to stick with safe!



6 comments:

  1. I always find it hard to tell from a couple of blocks just how a whole quilt of them will look. I think your first two blocks look lovely though and perfect points some of the time is better than none at all :)

    Thanks for linking up to New to Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that block this week too, on their You Tube channel! I love the name for the same reason's as you, but I still don't know what I am going to do for my sister's quilt either... I'm thinking of half square triangles, as they can be manipulated to make all sorts of patterns. But I am enjoying all the internet browsing for the perfect idea!
    Safe does sound easier at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, your "sister" blocks are beautiful. Great color choice. When you get back to them, try a solid sashing to break up the busyness you are worried about. Practice your scant 1/4 in seams and make sure that ALL seams are the same size. Second, your new block choice is great!!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with safe. Especially with a looming deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the sketch! It's all a learning process and have a look at how your pressing your seams and pin those matching seams when you sew them together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sister blocks are lovely!! Those little corners can be tricky, but pinning and light pressing will get you there. I fight with the 1/4 seam allowance ALL the time. :( I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete